MITA Cooling Technologies and technology research in academia: in 2015, we participated in the tender for the cooling system of the 2 engine test benches attached to the Rotordinamica Laboratory of the University of Pisa.Learn More
Cooling tower for the Poly-generation Chiller at the University of Palermo
In 2016, the University of Palermo modernized its buildings with a polygenerative solar system, part of the EU-funded STS-Med project. The absorption chiller needed a cooling system, so a lightweight and quiet PME-E open circuit cooling tower was chosen.
- Polygeneration scope
- Provision of a lightweight, non-corrodible and easy-to-maintain PME-E tower
- Ongoing technical support to the lead partner of the planting project
- University of Palermo
- Palermo, Italy
- Type of interlocutor
- Scope of application
- Power generation in the public sector
- Story in Brief
- The University of Palermo was founded in 1806 and is one of Italy's major university centers. In 2016, it modernized some of its buildings with the construction of a polygenerative solar power plant as part of the STS-Med project (funded by the European Commission).
- List of customer needs
- Cooling of the absorption chiller of the new polygenerative solar power plant
- Powers required
- 90 kW
- Technologies provided
- No. 1 PME-E open circuit cooling tower
- Key to success
- - Ongoing technical support to the ARCA Consortium, lead partner of the plant project
- Easy maintenance, thanks to side doors for inspection of internal components
1. Installation context
In 2016, the University of Palermo, one of Italy’s leading university centers founded in 1806, modernized some of its buildings with the construction of a solar power plant, with a polygenerative mode of operation. This initiative was part of the STS-Med project, funded by the European Commission.
The polygenerative solar plant has among its main components an absorption chiller, for the cooling of the fluids of which a cooling system was needed.
2. Proposed solution
The solution selected for cooling the process fluids of the absorption chiller was a PME-E open-loop cooling tower: lightweight and non-corrodible, with the possibility of noise containment through “Silent” version.
3. Critical success factor
MITA provided ongoing technical support to the ARCA Consortium, the project leader of the plant project. Of the solution provided, the possibility of easy maintenance to the internal parts due to the side doors for inspection of the internal components was particularly appreciated.Ask for Information
Some MITA Projects
Subscribe to MITA newsletter and stay updated on technical solutions for industrial and civil cooling and get to know our offer.