Sustainability without loss of performance: this was the challenge of a large-scale retail player with many supermarkets in northern Italy to which MITA supplied several Alchemist adiabatic subcoolers.Learn More
Alchemist Subcooler for Efficiency in a Refrigeration Unit
A store in the province of Vicenza has achieved a significant improvement in the performance of a CO2 refrigeration system, with energy and cost savings: this is thanks to Alchemist, a plug-and-play subcooler that can be easily integrated into existing systems.
- Bid for an international refrigeration player
- Selection of an adiabatic subcooler: high performance, energy savings
- Reduction in energy use of about a 27 percent
- Sales point in the province of Vicenza
- Province of Vicenza (Italy)
- Type of interlocutor
- Machine manufacturer (OEM)
- Scope of application
- Large-scale retail (commercial refrigeration)
- Story in Brief
- MITA Cooling Technologies' interlocutor is an international supplier of refrigeration solutions, with turnkey projects, equipment and services for supermarkets: it also selected efficiency solutions for chillers in the Vicenza store (end customer).
- List of customer needs
- - Increased performance of the transcritical CO2 plant
- Reduction in total electrical energy use of the refrigeration unit
- Reduction in circuit pressures
- Technologies provided
- No. 1 Alchemist model 4000 SR adiabatic subcooler: plug & play solution, easily integrated into existing downstream condenser and/or gas cooler chillers.
- Key to success
- - Increased cooling performance: with Alchemist on, the coefficient of performance (COP) is always above 2.2, while with Alchemist off, the COP plummets to values well below 2 during the daytime
- Reduction in energy use of about a 27%
- Reduction in circuit pressures: "average gain" during the week of about 6.4 bar
1. Installation context
A store in the province of Vicenza, a customer of a manufacturer and integrator of refrigeration systems, requested an efficiency upgrade of a CO2 chiller. Specifically, the customer’s requirements were as follows:
- increased performance of the CO2 transcritical system,
- reduction of the total electrical energy use of the refrigeration unit,
- reduction of circuit pressures.
2. Proposed solution
MITA Cooling Technologies, a customer of the system integrator, proposed the installation of an Alchemist model 4000 SR adiabatic subcooler. This plug-and-play solution was easily integrated into the point-of-sale transcritical system, downstream of the gas cooler.
3. Achievements and key to success
The installation of the Alchemist subcooler led to the following results.
- Increased cooling performance: with Alchemist on, the coefficient of performance (COP) is always above 2.2, while with Alchemist off, the COP plummets to values well below 2 during the day.
- Reduction in energy use of about a 27%.
- Reduction in circuit pressures: “average gain” during the week of about 6.4 bar.
Also key to the success of this solution is the combination of two technologies:
- adiabatic cooling, which optimizes water and energy use depending on the time of day and year;
- and subcooling, which lowers the temperature of the refrigerant before it enters the compressor.
The installation of the Alchemist subcooler has enabled the Vicenza store to achieve a significant improvement in the performance of its chillers, resulting in energy and cost savings.Ask for Information
In this project
Large-Scale Distribution and Supermarkets
Supermarkets and large-scale distribution are increasingly attentive to environmental sustainability: hence the choice to use natural refrigerants for chillers. In these cases, the adiabatic subcooler patented by MITA guarantees an extra step in efficiency: a solution that can be easily integrated into the system.
Performance, savings and environmental sustainability thanks to a patented Plug & Play subcooler for refrigeration systems working with R744 (CO2) and fluorinated refrigerants (HCFC, HFC, HFO).
Some MITA Projects
MCE-model evaporative condensers are an efficient solution for condensing ammonia in refrigeration: a Greek plant engineer, who again supplied this MITA solution to one of his customers, partly due to Ecoref's support during installation, knows this.Learn More
A Cuban brewery, during 2015, needed to replace the ammonia (NH3) condensing system from the compressors of the refrigeration units: MITA Cooling Technologies was involved in the supply of evaporative condensers.Learn More
Tools to help you choose
Preliminary plant evaluation
Or You Can Choose
Don't You Know how to Orient Yourself? WE GUIDE YOU TO THE CHOICE
Best practicesRead all Pieces of Advice by MITA Cooling Technologies
What to KnowFind Out All Technical Terms
Technical ArticlesRead All our Technical Articles
Subscribe to MITA newsletter and stay updated on technical solutions for industrial and civil cooling and get to know our offer.