In 2019, an MCT cooling tower solution with centrifugal fans was provided to meet the air conditioning needs of a conservation room at the Kiev National Opera House.Learn More
Cooling Towers for Bologna Hospital
The Major Hospital “Pizzardi” of Bologna installs as many as 12 non-corrodible and easy-to-maintain cooling towers to support the refrigeration units for the air conditioning system: performance and attention to noise level.
- Maggiore Hospital "Pizzardi" of Bologna, serving 800,000 inhabitants
- Supply of 12 silent and non-corrodible cooling towers for the air conditioning system
- High performance for the high capacity required by the hospital facility
- "Pizzardi" Major Hospital of Bologna
- Bologna, Italy
- Type of interlocutor
- Engineering firm
- Scope of application
- Hospital facility (HVAC)
- Story in Brief
- At the time of the order, the Azienda Sanitaria Locale and the "Pizzardi" Hospital provided services to almost the entire Province of Bologna, totaling 800,000 inhabitants. In 2008, Hospital Body D was launched to rationalize and concetrate high-tech facilities into a single 17-story building.
- List of customer needs
- - Cooling of the refrigeration units of the air conditioning system in the Hospital's D-Body
- High performance
- Low noise levels
- Output fluid and temperature
- Thermal jump of 5°C
- Powers required
- 26 MW
- Technologies provided
- No. 12 PME-E Silent open circuit cooling towers (concentrated in three condensation basins): anti-corrosion fiberglass structure, side doors for inspection of internal parts
- Construction Pluses
- Silent version with low speed to keep noise down
- Key to success
- Easy maintenance, low noise
1. Installation context
The new D-Body of Bologna’s Maggiore Hospital was conceived and built in 2008 as the facility’s “high-tech container.” The intervention included the construction of new areas, including emergency-urgency, trauma and surgical pathology, general medicine, geriatrics, obstetrics, gynecology and pediatrics.
The new air-conditioning system, conceived with the support of a specialized design firm, included several refrigeration units: machinery that, as a whole, needs considerable heat disposal capacity.
2. Proposed solution
MITA Cooling Technologies supplied as many as 12 PME-E Silent cooling towers for the cooling units of the new hospital facility: reduced fan speeds to keep noise down, fiberglass sandwich panels to ensure corrosion resistance. Side doors ensure easy maintenance to the internal parts.
The towers were installed in three condensing basins, with a total capacity of 22,500,000 kcalTh.
3. The key to success
MITA Cooling Technologies’ solution has helped ensure the efficiency and proper operation of the cooling system at Bologna’s Maggiore Hospital. Easy maintenance and low noise levels are elements that convinced the hospital’s partner engineering firm.Ask for Information
In this project
Hospital engineers pay attention to two fundamental needs: low noise level and simple maintenance to always keep equipment safe and efficient. Cooling technologies can meet these needs: evaporative and adiabatic coolers with sound-absorbing solutions, preferably with large accesses for internal inspections. The non-corrodible fiberglass can be a plus for useful machinery lifecycle extension.
PME-E Open-Circuit Evaporative Cooling Tower
A light and non-corrodible open-circuit evaporative cooling tower: process industry and HVAC operators will be able to count on its multiple versions and ease of transport and installation.
Some MITA Projects
The Italian Institute of Technology in Genoa replaced old cooling towers with three new PME 2054 E K12 Silent cooling towers from MITA. The towers, equipped with Eurovent-certified performance and special features.Learn More
Tools to help you choose
Preliminary plant evaluation
Best practicesRead all Pieces of Advice by MITA Cooling Technologies
What to KnowFind Out All Technical Terms
Technical ArticlesRead All our Technical Articles
Or You Can Choose
Don't You Know how to Orient Yourself? WE GUIDE YOU TO THE CHOICE
Subscribe to MITA newsletter and stay updated on technical solutions for industrial and civil cooling and get to know our offer.