MITA Cooling Technologies scores, together with the agency EETS, a new achievement for the food industry: a poultry products company chose the PAD-V adiabatic cooler for a section of its production processes.Learn More
Evaporative and Adiabatic Condenser for a Dairy in the Langhe Region
Langhe, a historic area of Piedmont known for its wines and haute cuisine. MITA Cooling Technologies participated in the modernization of a dairy’s refrigeration system with two heterogeneous solutions: the MCE evaporative condenser and an adiabatic condenser.
- Dairy in the Langhe with high quality gourmet products, design studio support
- Provision of two different cooling technologies for heterogeneous needs and refrigerants
- Covering between 80% and 100% of the heat load of the production plant by one of the solutions provided
- Langhe Dairy
- Langhe region (Northern Italy)
- Type of interlocutor
- Engineering Firm
- Scope of application
- Food Refrigeration
- Story in Brief
- MITA's client dairy produces and markets butter and cheese from Italian milk: it has great attention to production according to established food traditions, in a historical region (Langhe) known for its culinary tradition. The design firm Telos supported the company in the design of production facilities, integrating ad hoc cooling technologies.
- List of customer needs
- - Cooling a refrigeration unit with R1234ze refrigerant
- Recovering water from a transcritical R744 refrigeration system, for reuse in heating seasoning rooms
- Scaling up its business to supply large-scale organized retail
- Output fluid and temperature
- Refrigerant R1234ze (first refrigeration unit)
- Technologies provided
- - MCE evaporative condenser (for the first refrigeration system)
- Adiabatic condenser (for the second refrigeration system, to R744 transcritical)
- Key to success
- Reduced energy use and good R.O.I. for both technologies provided
- Coverage between 80% and 100% of the heat load of the production plant (with the adiabatic condenser for the R744 transcritical refrigeration system)
1. Installation context and requirements
The expectation of the Langhe dairy was to make a scale-up of its business to supply the large-scale retail trade, with a focus on energy efficiency. The plant solutions adopted therefore had to support this growth, through a two-unit refrigeration system with different objectives.
A first unit needed to be provided for cooling with R1234ze refrigerant. On the other hand, the second, operating with transcritical R744, was to recover high quality water, which was then to be reused in heating the maturing cells.
2. Proposed solutions
For both contexts, the Telos company has provided MITA cooling and condensing solutions: one evaporative and one adiabatic. Specifically, the first of the two refrigeration units is now served by the MCE evaporative condenser: a machine that, thanks to the low installed powers, provides for reduced energy use. The second of the two refrigeration units, the transcritical R744 unit, on the other hand, is supported by the gas cooler. Its electrically controlled fans ensure low energy use.
In addition, adiabatic cooling enables high performance in warm seasons compared with air systems.
3. Results and key success factors
“With the technical solutions adopted in the transcritical R744 unit, we cover between 80 percent and 100 percent heat load of the plant”, says Telos engineer Pasini with satisfaction. MITA Cooling Technologies’ gas cooler also helps support this performance.
The Telos design firm, which accompanies clients from the initial definition of needs to testing and fine tuning, has been following the Langa dairy project since July 2014. Testing took place in July 2017. A special eye in the choice of supplies, by the company’s explicit admission, is always given to the preferable solutions in terms of economic and energy efficiency: hence the decision to invest in MITA machines.Ask for information
In this project
Refrigeration in the Food Sector
Refrigeration in the food sector is linked to production lines in food & beverage: the optimization of efficiency and resources (water and energy) are the most requested needs by customers. Evaporative and adiabatic condensers must be able to manage different refrigerant gases based on project requirements.
MCE Industrial Condenser
Compact, efficient and easily accessible: MCE industrial condenser ensures refrigeration operators all the operating standards of its own technology class. The typical MITA evaporative coolers’ durability over time is a plus. MCE-EC version available with electronically controlled fans.
PAD-VR Adiabatic Condenser
Ideal for water saving maintaining a high efficiency. All operations are managed by PLC with the possibility of remote management in “Industry 4.0” mode. Both HVAC and refrigeration sectors can be served.
MITA case studies
A Cuban brewery, during 2015, needed to replace the ammonia (NH3) condensing system from the compressors of the refrigeration units: MITA Cooling Technologies was involved in the supply of evaporative condensers.Learn More
More than a hundred years ago it was an apple orchard: now it is one of the most important food industries in Sweden. This is the company to which MITA Cooling Technologies and CAMPreq have provided solutions-as manufacturer and process cooling consultant, respectively.Learn More
Tools to help you choose
Preliminary plant evaluation
Best practicesRead all Pieces of Advice by MITA Cooling Technologies
What to KnowFind Out All Technical Terms
Technical ArticlesRead All our Technical Articles
Or You Can Choose
Don't You Know how to Orient Yourself? WE GUIDE YOU TO THE CHOICE
Subscribe to MITA newsletter and stay updated on technical solutions for industrial and civil cooling and get to know our offer.