A plastics processing company in the province of Lecco has chosen the PAD-V cooler for the cooling circuit of its production plant: the eco-sustainable system that cuts water and energy bills.Learn More
PAD Adiabatic Coolers for Ansaldo Energia (Utilities)
One of the most advanced poles for the study of power grids in Europe, in Sardinia, also bears the signature of MITA Cooling Technologies: this is thanks to 13 adiabatic coolers supplied to Ansaldo, among the main implementers of the work.
- Ansaldo Energia SpA's innovative energy hub in Sardinia
- Need for performance solutions but low water use drought area
- Selection of 13 adiabatic, high-performance yet resource-efficient coolers
- Ansaldo Energia
- Sardinia, Italy
- Type of interlocutor
- End customer
- Scope of application
- Power Generation
- Story in Brief
- Ansaldo Energia S.p.A. is one of the world's largest producers of energy solutions: for a century and a half it has been a strategic company for Italian development. MITA Cooling Technologies has already been Ansaldo's supplier of cooling technologies for corporate facilities in Genoa.
- List of customer needs
- - Fluid cooling of a synchronous compensator attached to the energy hub
- Selection of a high water-saving solution (given the aridity of the area)
- Technologies provided
- No. 13 PAD adiabatic coolers type 12/6 85 C
- Key to success
- High performance and water saving
1. Company and installation context
Ansaldo Energia S.p.A. is recognized as one of the world’s largest manufacturers of power generation equipment and energy solutions: it was founded in 1853 and in the century and a half since has facilitated Italy’s energy development. MITA Cooling Technologies is already a supplier of cooling technologies for Ansaldo, particularly with evaporative towers installed in its Genoa facility.
In the case of the Sardinian energy hub, however, the need was to cool the fluid of a synchronous compensator attached to the plant. The aridity of the land along with very high summer temperatures suggested a solution with low water use but at the same time efficient.
2. Proposed solution
Precisely because of these requirements, the adiabatic solution was found to be more congenial than classical closed-loop evaporative cooling. Therefore, 13 PAD adiabatic coolers type 12/6 85 C were installed.
In cooler seasons, the machines work as dry coolers, in that they operate dry. In summer, the air passing through the finned coils is cooled by the adiabatic system: special section of flocked PVC that is humidified with short wetting cycles. The flow of wetting and fan modulation is automatically adjusted with a view to continuous optimization of resource utilization.
Additional advantageous features of PAD coolers are:
- easy maintenance, thanks to wide access to internal parts;
- components made of fiberglass, PVC and PP, thus incorrodible and long-lasting;
- servo-controlled air bypass dampers (low pressure drop in cold periods).
3. The key to success
The thirteen selected cooling systems together allow for high performance, but with low water use-this is the answer to one of the critical needs of the plant that met with the favor of the stakeholder.Ask for information
Oil & Gas
These industries are characterized by very high water flow rates. Modular industrial cooling towers, easily transportable over long distances despite their large size, are often suggested together with large concrete field-erected cooling towers.
The different phases of the industrial water treatment process require defined cooling temperatures in accordance with regulations. In this sector, it is preferable to use cooling towers with anti-clogging fill packs for industrial contaminated water.
The mechanical industry includes the most diverse sectors, in addition to metal and plastic processing: compressors and test benches are significant examples. Required temperature differences and water quality vary greatly depending on the industry: evaporative cooling towers can be used, preferably open-circuit ones (with exchange packs for dirty or clean water depending on the context) and adiabatic coolers for consumption optimize.